75 years ago today - Nov 2, 1939

[President Heber J. Grant] Any number of bankers, in fact all of them that I have met, spoke in the highest term of the talk I gave at Wilshire Ward against the ... 'Ham and Eggs' Amendment to the Constitution of California, which in my judgment is one of the most damnable things ever conceived in the brain of man. It sets up a dictator and puts men in office whose reputation is anything but savory and perpetuates them in office. It also establishes a bank with men to run it who are not bankers and other things that I do not care to bother to refer to. Presonally (sic), I almost feel that any Latter-day Saint who would vote for such a measure is not fit to be a member of the Church. It is contrary to all the teachings of the Church. I decided to send a copy of my talk in the Wilshire Ward to every Bishop in the State of California and to all of the Branch Presidents in the Mission, and also a letter to every Stake President in California. I signed one day in the neighborhood of one hundred fifty letters. I had three people at the mission headquarters writing letters, enclosing them in envelopes and handing the letters to me to sign ...

[Source: Diary of Heber J. Grant, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment