165 years ago today - Oct 5, 1849

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff] 5th Dr Burnhisel spent the Afternoon with me & [we] walked through the city of Boston together. As He had lived with President Joseph Smith & his family for years was with him in prision the morning He was masacreed, our conversation turned upon the subject of his life & death. Among other remarks he informed me that Brother Joseph Addressed his remarks to him alone when He said "I am going as A Lamb to the Slaughter. Yet I shall die with a Concience void of offence towards god and man. I feel as Calm as A summers morning. (And the expression of his Countenance showed that he was so.) "He said it will yet be said of me that He was murdered in Cold blood." Other remarks were made concerning the Saints building up the kingdom of God & there reward for so doing.

[Source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment