120 years ago today - Sep 17, 1894

[Apostle Heber J. Grant Diary] I called on Apostle Franklin D. Richars this A.M. and explained a conversation that I had had Saturday with Bro. Chas Penrose in which I had been informed that hte Presidency of the Church had told him, Brother Franklin D. Richards, that there was no objections to any of the brethren doing any political work that they might think best. In other words that they had said that all were at perfect liberty to do what they pleased as to making speeches for either party. That the same word was afterwards given to Bro. Penrose. I told Bro. Franklin that I should not have made any talk at the theatre Saturday evening [in favor of Rawlins] had it not been for my conversation with Bro. Penrose and asked to know from him just waht the Presidency had said in the premises. I learned that they fel that all shold be free but that it would be wise for the members of the Apostles not to make any speeches. I was sorry this exception had been made seeing that I made a talk Saturday and I hope that the First Presidency will not feel annoyed because I did so. ...

[Source: Diary of Heber J. Grant, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment